As we move closer to the Christmas Season, we are looking for volunteers to help us with the 2016 Celebrate The Nativity event (formerly the Maple Valley Crèche), sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Maple Valley, Enumclaw & Kent Stakes.
The event will take place on Thursday Dec. 1st (5-9pm), Friday Dec. 2nd (2-9pm) and Saturday Dec. 3rd (2-9pm) in Maple Valley (on Kent-Kangley Road), just west of the Four Corners shopping area.
- This will be our 13th consecutive year
- Almost 600 nativities from around the world will be on display
- 3,900 in attendance last year
- Featuring a “Live Nativity”
- An artistic display of the life of Jesus
- Live Music being performed throughout the event with many talented singers and musicians
- Family Photo Room with costumes available (photos can be emailed free of charge)
- A large art display for children and youth to show their personal artwork about the nativity
We need lots of help to make this event happen, so please consider volunteering and helping make this a great holiday celebration by filling out the volunteer form below.
Following is the volunteer schedule for this year’s event. Please feel free to show up at the Maple Valley Stake Center to volunteer for any of these days and/or tasks — even if you didn’t specifically sign up.
Saturday, Nov. 26th (Move things in. Outside decorations)
7-9am : Rock Creek Ward retrieves Nativity materials from storage
9-Noon : Sorting through boxes and getting things organized for the week
Noon – whenever done :
– TBA Ward: Put up outside lights (fence, trees at both entrances, front entrance lighting, etc. ). Put up banners and spotlights.
– 1pm until finished : Installing ceiling lights, stars on wires, people bring trees, tables from other buildings come, etc.
Monday, Nov 28th (Build the “foundation”)
Start at 9am
– Set up trees including stringing lights on trees
– Set up tables, platforms/risers (YSA Wards and Missionaries)
– Distribute boxes to areas
– Align ceiling lights
– Set up Jerusalem skyline on stage
– Set up live nativity
6:30pm : YSA Wards come and help with all the many varied things to do.
Tuesday, Nov 29th (Things start looking nice)
Start at 9am:
– Final arrangement of trees
– Final arrangement of tables for the nativity
– Finalize track lighting positions
– Run extension cords to inner tables, tape them down
– Put table cloths on; add boxes to tables, more table cloths on.
– Decorate tables, put white lights on tables
– Decorate chapel?? May be on Thursday
– Decorate foyer?? May be on Thursday
– Start setup of ArtWalk
Wednesday, Nov 30th (Nativities/Artwork arrive – Final Preparations)
9-11am Final Touches
1pm-8pm Nativity check in and set up
1pm-6pm Artwalk check in and set up
Set up rooms for activities (Refreshments, Photos, Childrens Crafts, etc.). Decorate foyers, hallways, chapel are decorated.
Thursday, Dec 1st – Celebrate The Nativity
8am – Poinsettias arrive and placed
5pm – 9pm Event is open
Friday, Dec. 2nd – Celebrate The Nativity
2pm – 9pm Event is open
Saturday, Dec. 3rd – Celebrate The Nativity
2pm – 9pm Event is open
9:30pm Pick up Nativities, Artwork, and Poinsettias
10:00pm Pick up trees
Sunday – Dec 4th – 1st Presidency Devotional and Family Caroling
Sunday 5-6pm – 1st Presidency Devotional
6pm – Family caroling and a couple music performances
Monday – Dec 5th – (Takedown and Cleanup)
6-7am – Takedown by Seminary Students
7am – Until Finished
Takedown ceiling spotlights, stars and wires, everything hanging with lift.
Takedown outdoor lights (assigned ward except trees in front of entrance)
Take stuff back to Storage and Shed.
People pick up trees.